Politically Correct or Pathetic Coward

I am feeling a tad controversial judging my today's subject? Let me elaborate...
Nowadays we are all so super sensitive to the words, situations, attitudes etc that cause potential "issues" between people when it comes to being politically correct. I agree that we DO need to be tolerant of each other, respect each others' values, and really be kind and compassionate to other humans and creatures. But come on guys, this is also not meant to be at the expense of self-worth, self rights and standing up for oneself either.
What I witness is that people are so afraid of being hauled over the burning coals for doing or saying something wrong, that they do not even start the fire in the first place. BUT no fire equals no braai (BBQ for the rest of the world beyond South Africa) equals no delicious chops. You have to be willing to make the fire! Please don't get me wrong: I am not for a moment suggesting that we all behave like pig ignorant fools towards each other, but by the same token we can take being PC, or politically correct just way too far. When we do that, and are just too cowardly to take a controversial angle when necessary, then I feel we flop over into the other PC- being a Pathetic Coward! Successful people know when to take a stand and when to simply shut up.
Sometimes, you DO have to take a stand, have that conversation, be courageous, take that risk, grow some balls (It is just such a fabulous expression hey even if totally non-PC!!) and do what you know is right. You can't always be trying to please others and flying under the radar: you also have to listen to your heart and soul, and then do so in a way that is respectful of others.
So, my challenge to you is to walk the fine line between being Politically Correct (at the risk of totally losing yourself) and the opposite of being a Pathetic Coward (with everyone else stomping all over you). Who you are, what you say and what you do, MATTERS: just try to do it in a compassionate way so that everyone wins. We live in a beautiful democracy in South Africa, so embrace yourself and all that you stand for!
In closing for today: in case you have the courage to tackle your clutter and close this year out with some space, energy and better organization, please take note of my website details below - I have great things happening over on my side if you want to come and play. It's spring in SA and I am inspiring everyone to clutter clear, but you can do it no matter where you are in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment